'Construction work' is any work carried out in connection with the construction, alteration, conversion, fitting out, commissioning, renovation, repair, maintenance, refurbishment, demolition, decommissioning or dismantling of a structure, which includes:
- any installation or testing carried out in connection with construction work
- removal from the workplace of any product or waste resulting from demolition
- prefabrication or testing of elements, at a place specifically established for the construction work, for use in construction work
- assembly of prefabricated elements to form a structure, or the disassembly of prefabricated elements forming part of a structure
- installation, testing or maintenance of an essential service in relation to a structure
- any work connected with an excavation
- any work connected with any preparatory work or site preparation (including landscaping as part of site preparation) carried out in connection with an activity referred to as construction work
- construction work that is carried out on, under or near water, including work on buoys and obstructions to navigation.
Construction work does not include:
- manufacture of plant
- prefabrication of elements, other than at a place specifically established for the construction work, for use in construction work
- construction or assembly of a structure that, once constructed or assembled, is intended to be transported to another place
- testing, maintenance or repair work of a minor nature carried out in connection with a structure
- mining or the exploration for, or extraction of, minerals.