Skip to content


Most South Australian workers receive 13 weeks long service leave after 10 years' service with an employer, or related employers, with pro rata entitlement after seven years.

Private sector workers are covered by the national workplace relations system, most receiving their long service leave entitlements from the South Australian Long Service Leave Act 1987.

Local government workers are also covered by this Act.

Other arrangements apply to workers:

Our fact sheet (PDF 118kb) tells you more, or if you're still in doubt about your entitlements contact us on 1300 365 255.

National workplace relations system

The National Employment Standards are 10 minimum employment entitlements - including long service leave - that must be provided to all workers with workplace arrangements in place before 1 January 2010.

The Long Service Leave Act 1987 does not apply if long service leave entitlements in a federal award or agreement would have covered an employer and their workers before that date.

More information is available from the Fair Work Ombudsman or phone 13 13 94.

Related Information

Industrial relations - national

Construction industry

If you work in the construction industry you can qualify for long service leave based on your service to the industry, rather than to just one employer.

Employers must register with Portable Long Service Leave and pay a levy every two months to the Construction Industry Fund. The current levy rate of 2.15% is fixed by the Construction Industry Long Service Leave Board.

When your long service leave entitlement is due, you get paid from this fund.


Construction Industry Long Service Leave Act
SA Legislation website

South Australian public service

Your long service leave entitlements are defined through legislation and a Determination of the Commissioner for Public Sector Employment if:

  • you work in the South Australian public service in an administrative unit or attached office
  • your employment has been declared by another Act or the Regulations.

If in doubt, talk to someone from human resources within your agency.


Public Sector Act 2009
SA Legislation website