This industry includes:
- store-based retailing
- motor vehicle, parts and fuel retailing
- online shopping
- direct mail.
Common hazards and injuries
Retails workers are likely to be injured at work due to:
- body stressing
- falls, slips and trips
- wounds and lacerations
- being hit by moving objects
- mental stress.
Common hazards include:
- demanding customers
- long hours standing
- sustained awkward positions
- lifting and moving heavy objects
- exposure to vibration
- tiredness due to irregular shift work.
Other specific areas of risk include:
- escalator and moving walkway void in-fills
- H-frame roll cages.
If you would like to read more on the causes of worker injuries, see:
- Work-related injuries 2005-2006: Retail trade industry (SafeWork Australia)