To import explosives into South Australia, the owner, consignee, consignor or carrier must:
- hold a licence to import explosives
- notify us at least two clear working days prior to the importation (including from interstate) any class of explosive in quantities exceeding 3kg
- make sure the explosives are classified and defined
- make sure all explosives are packaged and labelled in accordance with Explosives Regulations 2011 and the Australian Code for the Transport of Explosives by Road and Rail.
Classification of explosives
Any explosives brought into the state must be classified and defined prior to its import.
You can email us to confirm if an explosive has been classified in South Australia.
When making a request to SafeWork SA, include the:
- explosive trading name
- manufacturer proper shipping name
- UN number.