The WHS Act has a number of legislative objects, including:
- protecting workers and others from harm to their health, safety and welfare
- establishing consultation arrangements in the workplace
- encouraging constructive participation in health and safety by unions and employer organisations
- providing an effective enforcement regime.
Reflecting these objectives, the Act contains offences associated with:
- notification of workplace incidents to SafeWork SA
- work licensing requirements
- workplace consultation arrangements
- workplace entry by entry permit holders
- failure to comply with powers exercised by SafeWork SA Inspectors
- enforceable undertakings
- misuse of information, including providing false or misleading information and disclosure of confidential information.
We may also issue an expiation notice without taking the offender to Court.