Codes of Practice indicate best practice controls for particular types of hazards. They must be followed unless you have an alternative policy or solution with the same or a better health and safety standard in your workplace, or you can show the recommended controls are not ‘reasonably practicable’ for your particular situation.
Approved Codes of Practice in South Australia
The Codes of Practice listed below are the approved codes for South Australia. Safe Work Australia may have adopted more recent, updated Model Codes which may be awaiting consultation and endorsement by SafeWork SA.
Australian standards that are Codes of Practice
Where an approved Code of Practice references Australian or Australian/New Zealand Standards, the risk controls specified in those standards must also be complied with. All Australian Standards provide examples on how to control particular risks and should be considered when determining a suitable control measure.
Our library has the following Australian Standards available for loan:
- AS/NZS 1200: Pressure equipment
- AS 4024.3001: Safety of machinery—Materials forming and shearing—Mechanical power presses
- AS 4024.3002: Safety of machinery—Materials forming and shearing—Hydrologic power presses
- AS 1418: Cranes, including hoists and winches
- AS/NZS 1576: Scaffolding (Parts 1 - 4)
- AS 1735: Lifts, escalators and moving walks
- AS 1755: Conveyers—Safety requirements
- AS 3533: Amusement rides and devices
- AS 2030: Gas cylinders
- AS 2550: Cranes, hoists and winches—Safe use
- AS 2593: Boilers—Safety management and supervision systems
- AS/NZS 3788: Pressure equipment—In-service inspection
Other national codes
Codes under review
Transitional arrangements enable the following Codes to continue to operate in South Australia while national codes are developed. These codes and standards may be used however references to legislation may not be current.